Keith Chandler, who was paralyzed from the chest down in a car accident, was rescued by his two year-old Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Sandy, when a fire broke out in his home.
The man yelled at his children to leave the house after he smelled the fire. He managed to roll himself off the bed and tried to drag himself by the elbows across the floor but was making little progress. Sandy rushed in from the garden, grabbed onto the top of his jumper (that’s sweater, for the USA folks) and began dragging Chandler to the door. She managed to get her owner outside. ”The whole room almost exploded just seconds after Sandy pulled me into the garden,” said Chandler.
The fire, which started in the kitchen, was so intense that it gutted the house in less than 30 minutes. “The dog undoubtedly helped this man get out of the house. He is severely paralysed and I think without the dog’s help we would probably be dealing with a fatality here,” said a spokesperson for the fire department.